Skip to content

Russell Brand charged with rape and sexual assault

Russell Brand

Russell Brand has been charged with rape and two counts of sexual assault between 1999 and 2005.

The Metropolitan Police say the comedian and actor, 50, has also been charged with one count of oral rape and one count of indecent assault. The charges relate to four separate women, according to BBC News.

The force said that the allegations relate to an incident in 1999 when a woman was allegedly raped in the Bournemouth area, a 2001 incident in which a woman was indecently assaulted in the Westminster area of London and a 2004 case in which a woman was orally raped and sexually assaulted in the Westminster area of London.

Another incident also relates to a woman allegedly being sexually assaulted in the Westminster area of London between 2004 and 2005.

Brand has been interviewed multiple times by police since a wave of accusations against him emerged in September 2023 following an investigation by Channel 4, The Times and The Sunday Times, which saw him accused of multiple counts of rape, assault and emotional abuse between 2006 and 2013.

Russell Brand at Los Angeles Convention Center on January 24, 2020 in Los Angeles, California CREDIT: Kevin Mazur/Getty Images for The Recording Academy

The 49-year-old has previously denied the allegations and all claims of wrongdoing, calling them “very, very hurtful”.

Jaswant Narwal of the Crown Prosecution Service said today (April 4): “We have today authorised the Metropolitan Police to charge Russell Brand with a number of sexual offences.

“We carefully reviewed the evidence after a police investigation into allegations made following the broadcast of a Channel 4 documentary in September 2023.

“We have concluded that Russell Brand should be charged with offences including rape, sexual assault and indecent assault. These relate to reported non-recent offences between 1999 and 2005, involving four women.

“The Crown Prosecution Service reminds everyone that criminal proceedings are active, and the defendant has the right to a fair trial. It is extremely important that there be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice these proceedings.”

The Metropolitan Police’s detective superintendent Andy Furphy, who is leading the investigation, added: “The women who have made reports continue to receive support from specially trained officers.

“The Met’s investigation remains open and detectives ask anyone who has been affected by this case, or anyone who has any information, to come forward and speak with police. A dedicated team of investigators is available via email at CIT@met.police.uk.

“Support is also available by contacting the independent charity, Rape Crisis at 24/7 Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Line.”

Brand is due to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Friday, May 2 but he is believed to be in the United States.

According to BBC News, in these situations, where a suspect may be overseas, prosecutors can seek to agree the defendant’s return. If there is no co-operation from a suspect, authorities can then consider seeking extradition.

This is a developing story.

The post Russell Brand charged with rape and sexual assault appeared first on NME.